Wednesday 5 May 2010

Non-UK citizens can vote

Tomorrow May 6th is the UK General Elections.I do not even know the names of the local candidates & parties here but I can vote.I do not know the existing problems nor the developments,no idea what political parties have performed / failed, no idea of the local economy,political system, BUT I still can vote. Whom? What for? I found it very strange that people who are not British citizens can vote in UK General Elections.
Normally the voting rights are obtained for any country only if you acquire the citizenship. As per the British rule, all EU & Common Wealth citizens can vote in UK. More information in link here.
It would have made sense if there was a minimum period of stay in UK needed,before a person is eligible to vote.

No comments:

Search This Blog